Daolin Tang, M.D., Ph.D., is an internationally known researcher whose work focuses on the molecular mechanisms of disease, especially pancreatic cancer. His research has been supported by the National Institutes of Health and American Cancer Society. Dr. Tang has received numerous awards, which include being named the Hillman Fellow for Innovative Cancer Research at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, and receiving a Research Scholar Award from the American Cancer Society.
Dr. Tang is an author on nearly 200 written works and is often invited by publishers to write articles that review microbiology topics. He earned his medical degree from the Norman Bethune College of Medicine and his Ph.D. at the Xiangya School of Medicine, both in China. He later received post-doctoral training at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He joined UT Southwestern in 2018, where he serves as an associate professor in the Department of Surgery.
- Immunometabolism and sepsis
- PAMPs and DAMPs in immunity
- Pancreatic cancer
- Regulated cell death (ferroptosis, pyroptosis, alkaliptosis) and autophagy
- A noncanonical function of EIF4E limits ALDH1B1 activity and increases susceptibility to ferroptosis.
- Chen X, Huang J, Yu C, Liu J, Gao W, Li J, Song X, Zhou Z, Li C, Xie Y, Kroemer G, Liu J, Tang D, Kang R, Nat Commun 2022 Oct 13 1 6318
- Aconitate decarboxylase 1 is a mediator of polymicrobial sepsis.
- Wu R, Liu J, Wang N, Zeng L, Yu C, Chen F, Wang H, Billiar TR, Jiang J, Tang D, Kang R, Sci Transl Med 2022 Aug 14 659 eabo2028
- TMEM164 is a new determinant of autophagy-dependent ferroptosis.
- Liu J, Liu Y, Wang Y, Li C, Xie Y, Klionsky DJ, Kang R, Tang D, Autophagy 2022 Aug 1-12
- Identification of HPCAL1 as a specific autophagy receptor involved in ferroptosis.
- Chen X, Song X, Li J, Zhang R, Yu C, Zhou Z, Liu J, Liao S, Klionsky DJ, Kroemer G, Liu J, Tang D, Kang R, Autophagy 2022 Apr 1-21
- Oncogenic KRAS blockade therapy: renewed enthusiasm and persistent challenges.
- Tang D, Kroemer G, Kang R, Mol Cancer 2021 Oct 20 1 128
- Cell death in pancreatic cancer: from pathogenesis to therapy.
- Chen X, Zeh HJ, Kang R, Kroemer G, Tang D, Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2021 Jul
- MGST1 is a redox-sensitive repressor of ferroptosis in pancreatic cancer cells.
- Kuang F, Liu J, Xie Y, Tang D, Kang R, Cell Chem Biol 2021 Jun 28 6 765-775.e5
- Ferroptosis in infection, inflammation, and immunity.
- Chen X, Kang R, Kroemer G, Tang D, J Exp Med 2021 Jun 218 6
- Targeting ferroptosis in pancreatic cancer: a double-edged sword.
- Chen X, Kang R, Kroemer G, Tang D, Trends Cancer 2021 May
- Broadening horizons: the role of ferroptosis in cancer.
- Chen X, Kang R, Kroemer G, Tang D, Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2021 May 18 5 280-296
Ferroptosis in Health and Disease
Daolin Tang (Ed.) (2019). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Global Highly Cited Researcher
Clarivate/Web of Science (2022)
- Expert in Sepsis
- Global Highly Cited Researcher
Clarivate/Web of Science (2021)
- Hillman Fellow for Innovative Cancer Research
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center (2018)
- Research Scholar Award
The American Cancer Society (2016)
- NanoString Technologies Award
- Jr. Scholar Award
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (2013)
- Career Development Award
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and American Association for Cancer Research (2012)