Ying Xian, M.D., Ph.D., FAHA, is a tenured Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology, with a secondary appointment in the Department of Population and Data Science at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Xian earned his medical degree at Beijing Medical University (Peking University Health Science Center), completed a residency in Internal Medicine, and a fellowship in Cardiology at Peking University People’s Hospital, and Fuwai Hospital, Peking Union Medical College. Dr. Xian obtained his Ph.D. degree in Health Services Research and Policy at University of Rochester and received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA) Pharmaceutical Roundtable-Spina Fellowship training in Cardiovascular Outcomes Research at Duke University.
For more than a decade, Dr. Xian’s research has been focused on improving health care quality and outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease and stroke. Prior to joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021, Dr. Xian served as the clinical lead for the AHA/ASA Get With The Guidelines Stroke (GWTG-Stroke) Registry and Society of Thoracic Surgeons' (STS) National Database Analytical Center at Duke. He has led multiple groundbreaking comparative effectiveness and patient-centered outcomes research projects, with extensive experiences with large national registry and data linkage with Medicare claims.
Dr. Xian is the principle investigator of two National Institute on Aging (NIA) funded R01s to evaluate the safety and efficacy of antithrombotic therapy for secondary stroke prevention and the AHA Clinical Research Program and Scientist Development Grant to investigate off-label/off-guideline thrombolytic therapy in stroke. Dr. Xian has served on multiple committees of the AHA/ASA, including the GWTG Quality Improvement Subcommittee, Stroke Systems of Care Advisory Group, Stroke Council’s Quality and Outcomes Committee, Quality of Care and Outcomes Research (QCOR) Council’s Young Clinicians & Investigators Committee, and GWTG-Stroke Clinical Work Group. Dr. Xian has authored or coauthored over 200 peer-reviewed publications and has been recognized for his research through the AHA QCOR Young Investigator Award and the Northwestern Junior Faculty Clinical Research Award.
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cognitive impairment and dementia
- Comparative effectiveness research
- Global health
- Health services research
- Outcomes research
- Patient-centered outcomes research
- Primary and secondary prevention
- Quality improvement
- To Treat or Not to Treat: Low-Dose Alteplase for Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke Taking Direct Oral Anticoagulants Within 24?Hours.
- Kam W, Xian Y, J Am Heart Assoc 2022 Sep e027238
- Analysis of Prescriptions for Dual Antiplatelet Therapy After Acute Ischemic Stroke.
- Xian Y, Xu H, Matsouaka R, Laskowitz DT, Maisch L, Hannah D, Smith EE, Fonarow GC, Bhatt DL, Schwamm LH, Mac Grory B, Feng W, Fosbøl EL, Peterson ED, Johnson M, JAMA Netw Open 2022 Jul 5 7 e2224157
- Outcomes After Endovascular Thrombectomy With or Without Alteplase in Routine Clinical Practice.
- Smith EE, Zerna C, Solomon N, Matsouaka R, Mac Grory B, Saver JL, Hill MD, Fonarow GC, Schwamm LH, Messé SR, Xian Y, JAMA Neurol 2022 Jun
- Evaluation of Evidence-Based Dual Antiplatelet Therapy for Secondary Prevention in US Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke.
- Xian Y, Xu H, Smith EE, Fonarow GC, Bhatt DL, Schwamm LH, Peterson ED, JAMA Intern Med 2022 Mar
- Association of Recent Use of Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants With Intracranial Hemorrhage Among Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke Treated With Alteplase.
- Kam W, Holmes DN, Hernandez AF, Saver JL, Fonarow GC, Smith EE, Bhatt DL, Schwamm LH, Reeves MJ, Matsouaka RA, Khan YM, Unverdorben M, Birmingham MC, Lyden PD, Asimos AW, Altschul D, Schoonover TL, Jumaa MA, Nomura JT, Suri MFK, Moore SA, Lafranchise EF, Olson D, Peterson ED, Xian Y, JAMA 2022 Feb
- Achieving More Rapid Door-to-Needle Times and Improved Outcomes in Acute Ischemic Stroke in a Nationwide Quality Improvement Intervention.
- Xian Y, Xu H, Smith EE, Saver JL, Reeves MJ, Bhatt DL, Hernandez AF, Peterson ED, Schwamm LH, Fonarow GC, Stroke 2021 Nov STROKEAHA121035853
- Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes Associated With Oral Anticoagulant Use Among Patients Hospitalized With Intracerebral Hemorrhage.
- Xian Y, Zhang S, Inohara T, Grau-Sepulveda M, Matsouaka RA, Peterson ED, Piccini JP, Smith EE, Sheth KN, Bhatt DL, Fonarow GC, Schwamm LH, JAMA Netw Open 2021 02 4 2 e2037438
- Safety and Outcomes of Intravenous tPA in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients With Prior Stroke Within 3 Months: Findings From Get With The Guidelines-Stroke.
- Shah S, Liang L, Kosinski A, Hernandez AF, Schwamm LH, Smith EE, Fonarow GC, Bhatt DL, Feng W, Peterson ED, Xian Y, Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2020 01 13 1 e006031
- The Medicare Shared Savings Program and Outcomes for Ischemic Stroke Patients: a Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Kaufman BG, O'Brien EC, Stearns SC, Matsouaka R, Holmes GM, Weinberger M, Song PH, Schwamm LH, Smith EE, Fonarow GC, Xian Y, J Gen Intern Med 2019 12 34 12 2740-2748
- Clinical Effectiveness of Direct Oral Anticoagulants vs Warfarin in Older Patients With Atrial Fibrillation and Ischemic Stroke: Findings From the Patient-Centered Research Into Outcomes Stroke Patients Prefer and Effectiveness Research (PROSPER) Study.
- Xian Y, Xu H, O'Brien EC, Shah S, Thomas L, Pencina MJ, Fonarow GC, Olson DM, Schwamm LH, Bhatt DL, Smith EE, Hannah D, Maisch L, Lytle BL, Peterson ED, Hernandez AF, JAMA Neurol 2019 Oct 76 10 1192-1202
Data Resources. In Understanding Clinical Research
Renato Lopes and Robert Harrington (2013). McGraw-Hill Education / Medical
Honors & Awards
- 2nd Place Winner, Junior Faculty Clinical Category Young Investigator Research Award
12th Annual Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators' Forum (2016)
American Heart Association (2016)
- Travel Award
International Stroke Conference (2016)
- Distinguished Clinical Research Achievement Award
Clinical Research Forum. Fonarow GC, Zhao X, Smith EE, Saver JL, Reeves MJ, Bhatt DL, Xian Y, Hernandez AF, Peterson ED, and Schwamm LH. Door-to-needle times for tissue plasminogen activator administration and clinical outcomes in acute ischemic stroke before and after a quality improvement initiative. JAMA. 2014, 311(16), 1632-1640 (2015)
- 2nd Place Winner, Junior Faculty Clinical Track
10th Annual Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators' Forum (2014)
- Young Investigator Finalist
American Heart Association Epidemiology and Prevention|Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism Scientific Sessions (2011)
- Young Investigator Award
American Heart Association Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Interdisciplinary Council (2010)
- Bertram Scott Research Fellow
American Heart Association Founders Affiliate (2008)
- Predoctoral Fellowship
American Heart Association Founders Affiliate (2008)
- Excellus Fellowship in Health Services Research and Policy
Excellus BCBS (2005)
- Dean's Fellowship
University of Rochester (2003)
- African Stroke Organization (2021)
- Gerontological Society of America (2021)
- European Stroke Organisation (2019)
- World Stroke Organization (2019)
- American Heart Association (2007)