Tian Zhang, M.D., M.H.S., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Hematology and Oncology Division. She specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of genitourinary malignancies, including kidney, prostate, bladder, and testicular cancers.
Dr. Zhang earned her medical degree from the Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology (HST) program at Harvard Medical School. She completed a residency in internal medicine at Duke University, where she also received advanced training through a hematology-oncology fellowship. In addition, she earned a Master of Health Sciences in the Clinical Research Training Program at Duke in 2019.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in medical oncology, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Zhang is a clinical trialist and translational researcher focused on evaluating clinical development of novel therapeutics and evaluating biomarkers for genitourinary malignancies. She partners closely with a multidisciplinary team at UT Southwestern to provide data-driven clinical care for her patients.
She has gained an international reputation developing clinical trials in kidney, prostate, and bladder cancers. She serves as the study chair for PDIGREE, a phase III trial in metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
Dr. Zhang is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), and the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO).
She serves on numerous committees, including as Co-chair of the National Cancer Institute Genitourinary (GU) Steering Committee Renal Task Force and as Chair of the Chinese American Hematologist and Oncologist Network (CAHON) Academic Committee. She is a member of several ASCO clinical management guidelines committees as well as the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, GU Oncology, and Immuno-Oncology Committees.
She brings a track record of research and mentoring to UT Southwestern. She has received multiple peer-reviewed grants, a Resident Research Mentoring Award from Duke, and, notably, the 2021 Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) Scholar Rising Stars Award.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (2009)
- Duke University (2010)
- Duke University Medical Center (2012), Internal Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center (2015), Hematology Oncology
- Graduate School
- Duke University Medical Center (2019)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Duke University School of Medicine (2019)
- Phase II Study of Gemcitabine and Split-Dose Cisplatin Plus Pembrolizumab as Neoadjuvant Therapy Before Radical Cystectomy in Patients With Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer.
- Rose TL, Harrison MR, Deal AM, Ramalingam S, Whang YE, Brower B, Dunn M, Osterman CK, Heiling HM, Bjurlin MA, Smith AB, Nielsen ME, Tan HJ, Wallen E, Woods ME, George D, Zhang T, Drier A, Kim WY, Milowsky MI, J Clin Oncol 2021 Oct 39 28 3140-3148
- Provider- and patient-level predictors of oral anticancer agent initiation and adherence in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
- Spees LP, Wheeler SB, Jackson BE, Baggett CD, Wilson LE, Greiner MA, Kaye DR, Zhang T, George D, Scales CD, Pritchard JE, Leapman M, Gross CP, Dinan MA, Cancer Med 2021 Sep
- Clinical outcomes in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma and brain metastasis treated with ipilimumab and nivolumab.
- Brown LC, Desai K, Wei W, Kinsey EN, Kao C, George DJ, Rini BI, Ornstein MC, Zhang T, J Immunother Cancer 2021 Sep 9 9
- Predicting patient-specific response to adaptive therapy in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer using prostate-specific antigen dynamics.
- Brady-Nicholls R, Zhang J, Zhang T, Wang AZ, Butler R, Gatenby RA, Enderling H, Neoplasia 2021 Sep 23 9 851-858
- A Multi-institutional, Retrospective Analysis of Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma to Bone Treated with Combination Ipilimumab and Nivolumab.
- Desai K, Brown L, Wei W, Tucker M, Kao C, Kinsey E, Rini B, Beckermann K, Zhang T, Ornstein MC, Target Oncol 2021 09 16 5 633-642
- A prospective trial of abiraterone acetate plus prednisone in Black and White men with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer.
- George DJ, Halabi S, Heath EI, Sartor AO, Sonpavde GP, Das D, Bitting RL, Berry W, Healy P, Anand M, Winters C, Riggan C, Kephart J, Wilder R, Shobe K, Rasmussen J, Milowsky MI, Fleming MT, Bearden J, Goodman M, Zhang T, Harrison MR, McNamara M, Zhang D, LaCroix BL, Kittles RA, Patierno BM, Sibley AB, Patierno SR, Owzar K, Hyslop T, Freedman JA, Armstrong AJ, Cancer 2021 Aug 127 16 2954-2965
- Patterns and Predictors of Oral Anticancer Agent Use in Diverse Patients With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Wheeler SB, Spees LP, Jackson BE, Baggett CD, Wilson LE, Greiner MA, Kaye DR, Zhang T, George D, Scales CD, Pritchard JE, Dinan MA, JCO Oncol Pract 2021 Jun OP2001082
- Association of clinical factors and recent anticancer therapy with COVID-19 severity among patients with cancer: a report from the COVID-19 and Cancer Consortium.
- Grivas P, Khaki AR, Wise-Draper TM, French B, Hennessy C, Hsu CY, Shyr Y, Li X, Choueiri TK, Painter CA, Peters S, Rini BI, Thompson MA, Mishra S, Rivera DR, Acoba JD, Abidi MZ, Bakouny Z, Bashir B, Bekaii-Saab T, Berg S, Bernicker EH, Bilen MA, Bindal P, Bishnoi R, Bouganim N, Bowles DW, Cabal A, Caimi PF, Chism DD, Crowell J, Curran C, Desai A, Dixon B, Doroshow DB, Durbin EB, Elkrief A, Farmakiotis D, Fazio A, Fecher LA, Flora DB, Friese CR, Fu J, Gadgeel SM, Galsky MD, Gill DM, Glover MJ, Goyal S, Grover P, Gulati S, Gupta S, Halabi S, Halfdanarson TR, Halmos B, Hausrath DJ, Hawley JE, Hsu E, Huynh-Le M, Hwang C, Jani C, Jayaraj A, Johnson DB, Kasi A, Khan H, Koshkin VS, Kuderer NM, Kwon DH, Lammers PE, Li A, Loaiza-Bonilla A, Low CA, Lustberg MB, Lyman GH, McKay RR, McNair C, Menon H, Mesa RA, Mico V, Mundt D, Nagaraj G, Nakasone ES, Nakayama J, Nizam A, Nock NL, Park C, Patel JM, Patel KG, Peddi P, Pennell NA, Piper-Vallillo AJ, Puc M, Ravindranathan D, Reeves ME, Reuben DY, Rosenstein L, Rosovsky RP, Rubinstein SM, Salazar M, Schmidt AL, Schwartz GK, Shah MR, Shah SA, Shah C, Shaya JA, Singh SRK, Smits M, Stockerl-Goldstein KE, Stover DG, Streckfuss M, Subbiah S, Tachiki L, Tadesse E, Thakkar A, Tucker MD, Verma AK, Vinh DC, Weiss M, Wu JT, Wulff-Burchfield E, Xie Z, Yu PP, Zhang T, Zhou AY, Zhu H, Zubiri L, Shah DP, Warner JL, Lopes G, Ann Oncol 2021 06 32 6 787-800
- Combination of Radiation Therapy and Short-Term Androgen Blockade With Abiraterone Acetate Plus Prednisone for Men With High- and Intermediate-Risk Localized Prostate Cancer.
- Koontz BF, Hoffman KE, Halabi S, Healy P, Anand M, George DJ, Harrison MR, Zhang T, Berry WR, Corn PG, Lee WR, Armstrong AJ, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2021 Apr 109 5 1271-1278
- Immunotherapy and targeted-therapy combinations mark a new era of kidney cancer treatment.
- Zhang T, George DJ, Nat Med 2021 04 27 4 586-588