Dr. Atul K. Taneja is an Assistant Professor at the Musculoskeletal Radiology Division of UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Taneja is originally from Brazil and received his initial medical training at Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (UFSC) in Florianopolis, Santa Catarina. Drawn by the opportunity for integration of medicine and diagnostics, he completed his Radiology Residency at Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Unicamp) and fellowships in Neuroradiology at Universidade de São Paulo (USP) and in Musculoskeletal Radiology at Hospital do Coracao (HCor) and Teleimagem, in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Dr. Taneja underwent advanced training in Musculoskeletal Radiology through an observer fellowship at University of California San Diego (UCSD) and research fellowship at Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Taneja is an active member of the International Skeletal Society (ISS) and the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), having participated as lecturer, moderator, and committee member for many international scientific meetings. With nearly 40 peer-reviewed published articles in leading journals of his field, he also serves as associate-editor for BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders and as reviewer for many specialized journals. During his career, he was awarded the Merit Honor Medal, the Ralph Schlaeger Award, and earned a PhD degree.
Dr. Taneja brings to UT Southwestern Medical Center more than 10 years of experience in patient-centered approach to magnetic resonance and ultrasound in sports imaging and internal derangement of joints, with a strong background in medical education and research.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Taneja's interests include HealthTech investments, medical innovation, social media, drone photography, his dog, family, soccer and traveling.
- Medical School
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (UFSC) (2005)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) (2009), Diagnostic Radiology
- Universidade de Sao Paulo (USP) (2010), Neuroradiology
- Hospital do Coraçao (HCor) and Teleimagem (2011), Musculoskeletal Radiology
- Research Fellowship
- Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School (2013), Musculoskeletal Radiology
- Advanced Tumor Imaging
- Internal Derangement of Joints
- MR Neurography
- Sports Imaging
- Meniscal ramp lesions: an illustrated review.
- Taneja AK, Miranda FC, Rosemberg LA, Santos DCB, Insights Imaging 2021 Sep 12 1 134
- Differential Diagnosis of Facet Joint Disorders.
- Anaya JEC, Coelho SRN, Taneja AK, Cardoso FN, Skaf AY, Aihara AY, Radiographics 2021 41 2 543-558
- Demystifying MR Neurography of the Lumbosacral Plexus: From Protocols to Pathologies.
- Muniz Neto FJ, Kihara Filho EN, Miranda FC, Rosemberg LA, Santos DCB, Taneja AK, Biomed Res Int 2018 2018 9608947
- MRI features of the anterolateral ligament of the knee.
- Taneja AK, Miranda FC, Braga CA, Gill CM, Hartmann LG, Santos DC, Rosemberg LA, Skeletal Radiol 2015 Mar 44 3 403-10
- Ischiofemoral impingement.
- Taneja AK, Bredella MA, Torriani M, Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2013 Feb 21 1 65-73
- Is there a good agreement between MRI readers for Thaunat's classification in arthroscopically-proven meniscal ramp lesions?
- Chagas-Neto FAD, Alencar LS, Aquino HLA, Taneja AK, Magalhães JFG, Sousa Filho PGT, Nogueira-Barbosa MH, Knee 2021 Jan 28 371-382
- Evaluation of Posterior Cruciate Ligament and Intercondylar Notch in Subjects With Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear: A Comparative Flexed-Knee 3D Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study.
- Taneja AK, Miranda FC, Demange MK, Prado MP, Santos DCB, Rosemberg LA, Baroni RH, Arthroscopy 2018 Feb 34 2 557-565
- MRI findings of rotator cuff myotendinous junction injury.
- Taneja AK, Kattapuram SV, Chang CY, Simeone FJ, Bredella MA, Torriani M AJR Am J Roentgenol 2014 Aug 203 2 406-11
- Peroneal tendon abnormalities in subjects with an enlarged peroneal tubercle.
- Taneja AK, Simeone FJ, Chang CY, Kumar V, Daley S, Bredella MA, Torriani M Skeletal Radiol. 2013 Dec 42 12 1703-9
- Extrinsic wrist ligaments: prevalence of injury by magnetic resonance imaging and association with intrinsic ligament tears.
- Taneja AK, Bredella MA, Chang CY, Joseph Simeone F, Kattapuram SV, Torriani M, J Comput Assist Tomogr 2013 37 5 783-9
Honors & Awards
Doctorate Degree (2017)
- Ralph Schlaeger Award
Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School Research Grant (2012)
- Merit Honor Medal
Highest scores in medical school graduation class (2005)
- International Skeletal Society (ISS) (2015)
- Brazilian College of Radiology (CBR) (2009)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) (2006)
- Sao Paulo Society of Radiology (SPR) (2006)