William W. Turner Jr., M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Turner holds the Carla and Paul Bass Professorship in Medical Education Honoring Charles C. Sprague, M.D., and the Alvin Baldwin, Jr. Chair in Surgery. He is also Master of Sprague College at UT Southwestern.
After earning his medical degree at Tulane University School of Medicine, Dr. Turner completed his residency in general surgery at UT Southwestern. He served in the United States Air Force, Reserve Medical Corps for five years; and in the United States Air Force, Active Duty Medical Corps for two years.
Dr. Turner spent the first 15 years of his academic medicine career at UT Southwestern. He then took positions at Indiana University School of Medicine and Butler University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. In 1998 he became the James D. Hardy Professor and Chair of the Department of Surgery at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine. He was also a Professor at the University of Mississippi School of Graduate Studies in the Health Sciences. Dr. Turner returned to UT Southwestern in 2007.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the Dallas County Medical Society, the Parkland Surgical Society, the Southwestern Surgical Congress, the Texas Medical Association, and the Southern Surgical Association, among other professional organizations.
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (1972)
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1977), General Surgery
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Hepatobiliary disease
- Pancreatic disease
- Equations for estimating energy expenditures in burned patients with special reference to ventilatory status
- Ireton-Jones C, Turner WW Jr. J Burn Care & Rehab 1992 13 330-333
- Intra-arterial drug abuse: new treatment options
- Silverman S, Turner WW Jr. J Vasc Surg 1991 14 111-116
- Nutritional considerations in recovered patients with burns
- Ireton-Jones C, Turner WW Jr., Baxter CR J Burn Care & Rehabilitation 1990 11 581-582
- Perforated gastric ulcers: a plea for management by simple closures
- Turner WW Jr., Thompson WM Jr., Thal ER Arch Surg 1988 123 960-964
- Mortality and renal salvage after renovascular trauma: a review of 94 patients treated in 20 years
- Turner WW Jr., Snyder WH III, Fry WJ Am J Surg 1983 146 848-851
- James D. Hardy: A Pioneer in Surgery (1918 to 2003). Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Aru GM, Call KD, Creswell LL, Turner WW Jr. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2004 23 1307-1310
- Mesenteric Ischemia: an unusual presentation of traumatic intrahepatic arterioportal fistula
- English WP, Johnson MB, Borman KR, Turner WW, Jr. American Surgeon 2001 67 865-867
- Polymerase chain reaction for the detection of bacteremia
- Reno WL III, McDaniel DO, Turner WW Jr., Williams MD American Surgeon 2001 67 508-511
- Traumatic disruption of the thoracic aorta in children. Archives of Surgery
- Hormuth D, Cefali D, Rouse T, Cutshaw J, Turner WW Jr., Rodman Jr. G Archives of Surgery 1999 134 759-763
- Gamma Probe Guided Resection of Sentinel Lymph Node in Breast Cancer
- Crossin JA, Johnson AC, Stewart PB, Turner WW Jr. American Surgeon 1998 64 666-669
Honors & Awards
- American College of Surgeons
- Midwest Surgical Association
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Southern Surgical Association
- Western Surgical Association